Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM) is being conducted from 2004 to provide admissions to M.Sc. (Four Semesters), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, M.Sc.-M.Tech., etc. Programmes at the IITs and Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programmes at IISc for consolidating Science as a career option for bright students.
(a) JAM 2017 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to the academic programmes covered under JAM 2017 need to appear in JAM 2017. There is no age restriction.
(b) JAM 2017 examination will be held on February 12, 2017 (Sunday) as Computer Based ONLINE Examination.
(c) For admission, foreign nationals are required to satisfy the rules and regulations of the admitting Institute(s) pertaining to foreign students. For further details, they are advised to contact the concerned Admitting Institute(s).
(d) To apply for admission to a desired programme, a candidate is required to qualify in the relevant Test Paper and also satisfy the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the respective Academic Programme.
(e) The candidates who have either appeared or are due to appear in the final examination of their qualifying degree in 2017 are also eligible to appear in the test. By qualifying in JAM 2017, candidates can apply for provisional admission subject to the condition that: (a) all parts of their final examination shall be completed by the date of registration of the Admitting Institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying degree with required eligibility, as specified by the Admitting Institute, will be submitted by September 30, 2017.
(f) Admission to most of the Academic Programmes at various institutes will be made on the basis of merit in JAM 2017.
(g) On the basis of performance in JAM 2017, for each test paper, separate merit lists will be prepared for General (GEN), OBC Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), SC, ST, and Persons with Disability (PwD) category candidates.
(h) Requests for the change of category, if any, with proper documentation, should reach the Organizing Institute latest by May 10, 2017. Requests received after this date will not be accepted under any circumstances.
(i) Candidates should note that mere appearance in JAM 2017 or being in the merit list of any test paper neither guarantees nor provides any automatic entitlement to admission. Qualified candidates will have to apply for admission as per the prescribed procedure. Admissions shall be made in order of merit in each category and depending on the number of seats available at the Admitting
(j) The list of academic programmes, number of seats, eligibility requirement and minimum educational qualifications of each of the programmes mentioned in this Information Brochure are subject to change, as per the policy of Admitting Institute(s).
(k) In this document, the phrases ‘Un-Reserved’ and ‘General’ are used interchangeably and they both mean the same.
(l) With regard to the interpretation of the provisions on any matter not covered in this Information Brochure, the decision of the Organizing Institute shall be final and binding on all the parties concerned.
(m) In all matters concerning JAM 2017, the decision of the Organizing Institute or the Organizing Chairman, JAM 2017 will be final and binding on all the applicants.
(n) Although JAM 2017 is held at different centres across country, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi is the Organizing Institute, and has the overall responsibility of conducting JAM 2017. In case of any claims or disputes arising in respect of JAM 2017, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the Delhi High Court alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such disputes and claims.
The following are the full-time M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, M.Sc.-M.Tech., and other Post-Bachelor’s Degree Programmes at different IITs and Integrated Ph.D. Programmes at IISc to which admissions shall be made on the basis of JAM 2017.
- Indian Institute of Science Bangalore (IISc): Integrated Ph.D. Programmes.
- IIT Bhubaneswar (IITBBS): Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii)Geology, (iii) Mathematics, (iv) Physics, and (v) Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences. The modalities for selection to the Ph. D. programme in the joint M. Sc. – Ph. D. programme are as follows. After completing the third semester of the M. Sc. Programme:
(a) Those students securing CGPA > 8.5 and having expressed their desire to continue in writing are eligible to opt for the Ph. D. programme. Final selection will be based on written test, interview and other shortlisting criteria set by the School. Those not selected and those who do not opt for the Ph.D. program will exit with an M.Sc. degree.
(b) Those with CGPA < 8.5 are not allowed to opt for the Ph. D. programme and shall exit with the M.Sc. degree.
- IIT Bombay (IITB): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Applied Geology, (ii) Applied Geophysics, (iii) Applied Statistics and Informatics, (iv) Biotechnology, (v) Chemistry, (vi) Mathematics, and (vii) Physics Four-year Dual Degree Programme in M.Sc. (Physics)-M.Tech. (Materials Science) with specialization in Nano-Science and Technology M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programmes in (i) Environmental Science and Engineering, (ii) Operations Research, Both the degrees will be awarded together after the successful completion of the Programmes
- IIT Delhi (IITD): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry,(ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Gandhinagar (IITGN): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Guwahati (IITG): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i)Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics and Computing, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Hyderabad (IITH): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics/ Mathematics and Computing, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Indore (IITI): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry,(ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics, with an option to convert it to M.Sc.-Ph.D. dual degree programme during second semester. Programme conversion of the eligible students is confirmed at the end of the third semester subjected to them qualifying the CSIR/UGC-NET, GATE or any equivalent and meeting the short-listing criteria of the concerned discipline. Students continuing M.Sc.-Ph.D. dual degree programme are awarded M.Sc. degree after successful completion of all its
prescribed requirements with recognition that it also partially fulfills the requirements of M.Sc. and PhD Dual Degree Program.
- IIT Jodhpur (IITJ): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Kanpur (IITK): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, (iii) Physics, and (iv) Statistics M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programme in Physics (Transfer from M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programme to M.Sc. Physics Programme is not permitted. However, for the students admitted to the M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programme, the M.Sc. degree
will be given after successful completion of all academic requirements of the first six semesters while working towards Ph.D. degree)
- IIT Kharagpur (IITKGP): Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Geology, (iii) Geophysics, (iv) Mathematics, and (v) Physics
- IIT Madras (IITM): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Patna (IITP): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics
- IIT Roorkee (IITR): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Applied Geology, (ii) Biotechnology, (iii) Chemistry, (iv) Economics, (v) Mathematics, and (vi) Physics
- IIT Ropar (IITRPR): Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics.
The candidates who qualify in JAM 2017 shall have to fulfill the following Eligibility Requirement (ER) for admissions in IITs.
- All candidates admitted through JAM should have a Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 55% aggregate marks, without rounding off, (taking into account all subjects, including Languages and Subsidiaries, all years combined) for General/OBC-NCL Category Candidates and at least 50% aggregate marks, without rounding off, (taking into account all subjects, including Languages and Subsidiaries, all years combined) for SC/ST and PwD Category Candidates in the
For Candidates with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s). Proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the admitting institute should be submitted by September 30, 2017. At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of admission, the admitted candidates may also have to undergo a physical fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. In case a candidate is not found physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be cancelled.
|Commencement of ONLINE Registration and Application on JAM 2017 Website||September 05, 2016 (Monday)|
|Last Date for Online application Submission and Uploading of Documents on the Website||October 06, 2016 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Payment of Application Fee through Online process||October 06, 2016 (Thursday)|
|Date of JAM 2017 Examination||February 12, 2017 (Sunday)|
|Announcement of the Results of JAM 2017||March 27, 2017 (Monday)|
|Submission of Application Form for Admission on the JAM 2017 Website||April 12 – 25, 2017|
|Last Date for receipt of request for change of category in proper format/ rectification of defective documents at IIT Delhi||May 10, 2017 (Wednesday)|
|Declaration of First Admission List||June 02, 2017 (Friday)|
|Declaration of Second Admission List||June 20, 2017 (Tuesday)|
|Declaration of Third and Final Admission List||July 03, 2017 (Monday)|
|Closure of Admissions through JAM 2017||July 07, 2017 (Friday)|
Application Fee Details for JAM 2017
- Female (All Categories)/ SC/ST/PwD
- One Test Paper: INR 750/-
- Two Test Papers: INR 1050/-
- General and OBC
- One Test Paper: INR 1500/-
- Two Test Papers: INR 2100/-